Thanks to a lovely community share page on Facebook, I managed to borrow a serger from a super nice woman in town, and I’m hooked. Let me show you why! If you missed part one of my cloth diaper adventures, check it out here.
If you’ve never heard of a serger, it’s essentially a sewing machine that finishes your edges for you. It also gives a really nice secure stitch to avoid fraying and keep things likes elastics in place. Here’s what the edges look like with a standard overlock stitch.
This is super handy for this project because it means I’ll only have to sew around once, adding in the elastics, and the machine will trim off the excess for me. Then I can turn, do the topstitching, and voila! I used the first pattern as a template and drew out the modifications for my second prototype.
I picked out some scrap flannel for both the inside and the outside, so I could simulate the weight of the flannel and PUL I’ll be using for the diapers. It took a grand total of three minutes to serge them together, elastics and all.
I turned it inside out and played with it a bit, enjoying the feel of the secure stitching.
I made sure to poke out all the corners really well, and then used my regular sewing machine for a simple straight stitch around the edges. Because my elastics were right on the seam, I didn’t have to worry about sewing a berth around them.
The only tricky part was that I forgot to leave a good seam allowance on the opening hole so it was tough to fold it under and sew it in place. Lesson learned!
I like the shape a lot better for where the snaps will be (when they finally get delivered!). Next adventure: liners!